Noise cancelling headphones are headphones that remove any unwanted noises in the background. It is quite distinct from the traditional ones where one needs to raise the volume excessively to cut down the unwanted disturbance. ANC(Active noise cancellation) or ANR(active noise reduction) cancels the first voice by the addition of a second voice.
Noise Cancelling Headphones
A microphone is inbuilt with every noise-cancelling headphone that is used for measuring any disrupting sounds. It then accordingly generates a waveform that negates the ambient noise and mixes it up with the sound that the listener is listening to. This conversion takes place in two ways one is through conversion in the real time using analog signals and the other is using some inbuilt software with real time digital processing.
How do you feel when you are traveling in an airplane and you are constantly disturbed by the surrounding ruckus? Noise cancelling headphones come to your rescue in such situations. You can easily carry them on your air travels and have the most serene experience during your journey.
There is a good bunch of people in the world who love to enjoy their music in the most peaceful and relaxing environment. These headsets do complete justice for the audiophile group of people.
Best Noise Cancelling Headphones under $100
The market is flooded with a variety of brands that sell noise-cancelling headphones. It confuses the potential buyers, as they are not very well informed about the qualities that they should be looking for. It often happens that we buy stuff that is either not value for money or the quality is not that good. We know how tough it gets to select the best headphones; therefore, here we will discuss Good noise canceling headphones under $100.
1. ALZN Active Noise Cancelling Bluetooth Headphones
ALZN headphone is said to be one of the best noise canceling headphone priced under $100. The look and feel of the headphones is quite impressive and supports good Bluetooth range. The active noise shield reduces the noise up to 97% that is a pretty good number. The size of the headset is (LWH) 7inches, 7inches, 2inches.It provides a talk time of about 5 hours and standby time of 150 hours which according to me is quite decent. It is comfortable to use with around the ear fit. The weight of the device is 6.08 ounces.
- These headphones are lightweight and comfortable in wearing.
- There is no hassle in connecting them. Easy to connect with phone or any other device.
- They Provides a very good range for Bluetooth and strong connectivity.
- The quality of the microphone is pretty decent.
- Good battery backup and you do not need to charge it a lot. 12 hours support it can give.
- The sound quality is appreciable.
- The noise cancellation may not be as good for some of the users.
- A little fragile body and one need to handle with care.
Verdict: If you are not an audiophile and a little bit of sound variation doesn€™t affect you then this is a good pick with great value for money. The lightweight design gives some more brownie points.
2. Cowin E-7 Active Noise Cancelling Wireless Bluetooth
Cowin E-7 makes you to have the best music experience with their amazing headphones. Light in weight and comfortable settings help you to relax and enjoy while listening to your favorite tunes. The earcups can rotate for fine-tuned fit. The headband is quite cushiony which accentuates the comfort quotient. The average weight of the headset is around 386 grams.
- Significant noise reduction
- A switch available to power off the noise reduction mechanism
- Sound quality is very good.
- Subtle details of the music could be heard.
- Sturdy design
- Bluetooth enabled
- A little heavy for gym goers
- Power switch is too small to handle. It could have been a bit bigger.
Verdict: If you are looking for a headphone that won€™t burn a hole in your pocket then this is the best one to try.
3. Monster Inspiration Noise Canceling Over-Ear Headphones
This is one of those noise cancellation headphones that can add a little bit of swag to your personality. It comes with customizable headbands that you can change time to time. It has brushed titanium finish that makes it look even more appealing. The item weight is 1.7 pounds and dimensions of 2.8*7*7.5 inches. It is one of the best noise cancelling headphones under $100.
- Customized headbands
- Solid body
- Great sound quality
- AAA batteries enabled no charging needed.
- Pretty good bass
- Doesn€™t have Bluetooth
- Heavy to use
- Speaker comes with metal coverage making it tiring for the ears.
Verdict: You get to have great sound quality at this affordable pricing. If you are not someone who needs to wear headphones for gaming purpose then it is a good pick.
4. CB3 Hush Noise Cancelling Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
It is another good pair of earphone that is really good for traveling purposes. The look is quite elegant and won€™t hurt you even if you are a spectacle wearer. The soft cups don€™t create pressure on your ear canals that is one of the finest qualities to find in best noise canceling headphones.
- Great look and feel.
- Good sound quality
- Effective voice cancellation.
- Compatible with various devices.
- Comfortable to wear.
- 2.5 hours needed for full charging
- If the ANC is off music quality drowns off.
- Lacks volume controls.
- Mic quality not that good.
- The earcups may become a little uncomfortable if worn for long time.
Verdict: If you are an easygoing listener and don€™t need to put headphones for long period of time then it is a pretty good piece.
5. JVC HANC250 Noise Cancelling Headphones
With these wireless and awesome ANC earphones you can feel and enjoy the music better. The AAA battery support allows the listening of 50 hours and more. The sturdy and foldable design makes it ideal for carrying in travel bags. This is a much better option than its previous models. The weight of these is unbelievable with just 27g. The dimensions of the product are 20.3 x 7.1 x 20.6 cm.
- Very light in weight
- Great sound quality
- Elegant looking
- Option to switch off noise cancellation
- 40 mm neodymium driver in each earpiece for effective noise cancellation
- Sturdy built and foldable option
- Noise cancellation is good for light noises but if the noises are scaled up then it is not that effective.
- The comfort level is good but the headband might be a bit too tight for some users.
Verdict: Though the product is quite durable it doesn€™t justify the cost it is sold for. There are better options in that price range. If the amount was listed a bit cheaper then it would be a good pick.
6. BÃ–HM Bluetooth Headphones with Active Noise Cancelling Headphones
These headphones are said to provide quality support at the same time they also cheap. They come with an aluminum housing that covers the headband and the ear cups giving it a more elegant feel. Light in weight they can be carried in a solid zipper case anytime and anywhere. The charging time of these headphones is about 3 hours. The measures of the driver unit is about 40 mm and provide an appreciable frequency range of 20hz-20khz.
- Light weight and sturdy zipper
- A micro-USB charging cable and stereo patch cable available
- High compatibility with all iOS and Android devices
- Bluetooth enabled and high range covered about 50-70ft
- playtime up to 16 hours
- Tight for some users
- Fragile in nature. Can break easily if not handled with care.
- Not very comfortable as compared to other headphone brands
Verdict: All in the entire product is average kind not very durable but offers good noise cancellation property. It is affordable and if you are someone with a tiny head small ear then it won€™t be a bad option.
7. Monoprice Hi-Fi Active Noise Cancelling Headphone
This headphone can be used just as a noise cancellation device without actually any auditory stuff going inside the ear cups. Sometimes we do wish to sit in quietness and serenity then can be easily achieved with Monoprice Hi-fi Active noise. It is powered by AAA battery, which can support it for 50 hours.
- Nice isolation even when no music is being played.
- Good noise cancellation effect for low frequency voices.
- Very comfortable and can be worn for long hours.
- Affordable and sturdy
- Can be used in passive mode also.
- No Bluetooth
- A little small for big heads.
- Average cancellation ability if the surrounding voices are too high then you might not get complete noise cancellation.
Verdict: A very affordable piece when you are looking good noise cancelling headphones under $100 with average performance. If you are not expecting something very great at this price then it is quite perfect and suits your requirements.
8. Philips SHB8750NC/27 Wireless Noise Canceling Headphones
This advanced active shield noise-cancelling headphone are said to cancel the noises by almost 97%. The sound is quite powerful and comes with one-tap Bluetooth connectivity. The weight of these noise-cancelling headphones is 8 ounces and the dimensions come around (L*W*H) 8.2*1.5*1.7 inches. The rechargeable battery offers a wireless playing of 16 hours.
- Foldable and can be made slim.
- Convenient hands-free calling
- Activates voice services like google now and Siri easily
- Great battery backup
- Fast forward tracks just from the device.
- Affordable for the features it provides.
- Allows multi points connections as in more expensive brands like bose.
- The higher volume can be even louder
- Material is average, could have been much better
- The button is too close so it gives a few surfing issues though once you get used to it that won€™t be a problem.
Verdict: It is a wonderful buy for the amount you get to pay. If you are an audiophile then it will surely fit the bill. The noise cancellation is pretty awesome that is what these headphones are actually meant for.
9. Golzer BANC-50 Bluetooth 4.1 Noise Cancelling Headphones
These are the stereo headsets that offer voice cancellation up to 85%. It comes in a hard travel case, which allows an easy way to carry it around. The audio quality offered by this device is rich and clear. It can operate in two modes wired as well as wireless. The weight of the item is around 6.9 ounces, which is approximately 195.16 grams.
- Quite comfortable and come with cushioned earphones.
- Good battery support
- Noise cancellation is also fine.
- A sturdy outer case is very convenient.
- Can be used both as wired and wireless (via Bluetooth)
- Sound quality theatrical and very rich.
- Sound quality not that good if the noise cancellation is turned off.
- Bluetooth takes time to connect.
- The look and feel is very drab. Other products for the same price come with more elegant designs.
Verdict: It is an ok kind of headset. The price is also affordable and one can surely use it. The look and feel is very average so if you are quite attracted by the designs then this will disappoint you.
10. Naztech i9BT Wireless Active Noise Cancelling Headphones
Three-featured headsets that can be used wired, wireless and solo. The design of the ear cups comes with cushion leathered memory foam that completely insulates your ear from outer noises. It also comes with HD noise with 40 mm drivers that give a booming bass and extended treble.
- The sound quality is very good with strong bass yet very balanced
- Comfortable to wear because of the leathered memory foam insulating the ears.
- Attractive body.
- Good insulation even before the ANC is switched on.
- The pairing and compatibility with devices is quite easy.
- There is a lot of sound leakages. When you are listening then the people beside you might also get to know what you are listening to.
- Noise canceling is very Ok but with the price it comes it is acceptable
- The overhead bar is too narrow making it a bit uncomfortable.
Verdict: The product is good for the price it is bought for. If you are buying it then do not expect a high percentage of voice canceling an average performance is what you should be expecting.
Is it worth Investing on Noise Cancellation Headphone?
This is a matter of personal choice and why you want to buy them. If you are someone looking for great sound quality then no it is not for you. As discussed before the audio quality is not at par with the conventional headsets that do not come with noise reduction features.
You can always find some acceptable noise cancelling headphone under 100 dollars. A little research is what you need to do.
Here are some areas where noise cancelling headphone can be very beneficial.
- Traveling: If traveling is what you often do and cannot tolerate the constant disturbance of your surrounding then these will surely benefit you.
- Concentrating: There are some people who enjoy music while doing their work. In such cases noise cancelling headphone help you to meditate and concentrate on your work and not be distracted the external noises.
- Noisy surrounding: If you are always a par of noisy environments and it makes hard for you to enjoy you music or your work then they can surely help you.
- Ear health: It will help you to prevent your ears from extreme high volumes and damaging your eardrums.
Buying noise-cancelling headphones sounds to be pretty easy task but it comes with a hell lot of challenges. You need to do a thorough research before finalizing a headset it. As we all know that these headsets are pretty expensive than the conventional headphones that we buy so it gets important that we invest smartly. You can get best nc headphones under $100 also that will solve your purpose and be of good quality as well.
1.) Audio quality: Noise cancelling headphones are basically meant to isolate the user from the surrounding ambient noises. It doesn€™t do anything with the sound or audio quality. if you are an audiophile who love to enjoy even the subtle details of an audio then do check the quality of the headset that you are buying. There are many factors that affect the audio quality like built in material, design, drivers and the internal circuitry. Noise cancelling headphones seal the outside noises to some extent but not completely. Even if you are not going for premium brands then also you can get acceptable performance by average costing brands. You can also find best headphone under $100 in market. You will not have to spend a fortune for it.
2.) Battery: Another prime factor about noise cancelling headphone is that it needs power for the effective noise cancellation unlike conventional headphones. Before you buy ANC headphone do check the battery life and backup. We all know that headphones are often used while travelling or at places where you might not have direct access to power source. So the replaceable batteries can be a good choice. But if traveling is not an issue then you are open to rechargeable battery headsets also. You can buy best headphones under $100. The market is flooded with such pieces.
3.) Active headphones and passive headphones: This is another technical detail you must know before buying headsets. Active headphones use the concept of digital signal processing to seal the outside noises. They come with an in-built mic that negates the ambient noises outside. On the other hand, passive headphones use physical means to give the noise cancellation effect. Sometimes this is not a very good option, as you cannot hear anything of the outside world. What if you are walking on the road and can€™t hear a vehicle honking? It is hazardous right? So try buying active headphones.
Caution: Do not use headphone while walking or driving on the streets it is super risky.
4.) No 100% efficiency: How good you buy a headphone one thing to keep in mind is that they do not come with 100% noise cancellation. Even the premium brands won€™t guarantee a full-fledged noise cancellation. They can cancel the lower frequency noises but if the surrounding noises are overwhelming then it won€™t work that effectively but will make it a bit tolerable. So, always be practical about it.
Are noise cancellation headphones harmful?
We often come across such questions that say that noise-cancelling headphone is harmful, but it is just a myth. Controlled balanced listening will not have any harmful effects. For example, if you listen to around 120 decibels for just 20 minutes then it won€™t be harmful. Headphones won€™t damage your hearing abilities but loud voice will do. Our eardrums can experience pain at about 120 decibels.
Permanent damage can occur at even 100 decibels if the headphones are used permanently for 10 hours or more. Taking breaks after every 20 minutes won€™t have any adverse affects. Noise cancelling is somewhat more beneficial as they prevent exposure to unwanted background noises.
What are the drawbacks of noise cancellation headphones?
- Some people may experience bout of headaches and dizziness. Though these symptoms are very rare to find and they are generally associated with a selected bunch of people but if you are one of them then you might feel uncomfortable using them.
- As the theory behind noise cancelling is the production of another voice to cancel the ambient noise. If you are listening some soft music then this background voice may create irritation and you may not enjoy it to the full. Though this secondary cancellation noise is overpowered if you listen to some pop music and rap. As such music are quite powerful and they overpower the secondary voices.
- If a comparison is made between these noise cancellation headphones and the traditional headsets you will find difference in the audio quality. Many people may not agree with this notion but if you buy an average quality product then you will surely notice a little bit of audio quality variation.
- They are pretty expensive to buy as compared to the normal headsets. The cost difference is about 10 times between both of them.
- These are quite complicated and bulky as they have external batteries and other accessories and needs to be charged from time to time.
- Noise cancelling headphones are power operated and they need to get charged from time to time. This again adds an extra baggage for the user.
- They are not 100% effective. You will get to hear some voices even after wearing them.
Advantages of using noise cancellation headphones:
- They give you a premium quality hearing protection for the ambient voices. It works on all the unwanted external noise sources not just the low frequency noises.
- It can help you to have a better and peaceful sleep while travelling long distance on an airplane. The distractions from the surrounding and airplane voices are all neutralized to some extent.
- You do not need to expose your ears to high volumes as we do with the traditional earphones. This preserves your ear health and let you enjoy music guilt-free.
- You can also wear them to concentrate on your work in a disturbing surroundings. You can wear them to office in case you are working in an open office environment. This will help you to concentrate more and increase your work productivity.
- The music can be listened at comfortable levels even when you are sitting in a noisy environment. When we volume up the music we are listening to the intricate details of the instruments and music goes missing. But with these headphones you can actually enjoy music at a level that you want.
- Students can also use noise-cancelling headphone to concentrate on their studies when they are often distracted by unwanted noises in their surroundings.
At the end of the article I will like to say that before you go buying your noise-cancelling headset think about why you want to buy it. What are your priorities and how much can you invest. As told earlier there are a huge number of brands in the markets with varying features so you need to analyze them before getting one for yourself.